UPDATE 9/22/2017: Instead of packing the trailer on Saturday, we will pack it during the troop meeting on Wednesday September 27. On Saturday, September 30, scouts are to meet directly at Camp Dawson at 1:00 pm to unload the trailer and get their stations ready. Cub scout arrive at 2:00 pm.
Cub scouts of all ages and their parents are invited to join us for a day full of activities to teach your son basic scout skills. Webelos and Arrow of Light scouts and their parents are invited to stay for dinner that the scouts prepare, and camp overnight in a tent with Troop 74.
We will be mountain biking in the trails at Camp Dawson again this year. The trails are not hard but a lot of fun! All scouts and parents are encouraged to bring their bicycles and helmets (no riding without a helmet).
- Total Cost: $7 per scout and $7 per adult for overnight camping. Free for scouts coming for only the day activities. Cub scouts must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration Deadline: Wednesday, September 27, 2017
- Where: Camp Dawson, Jacksonville Rd, Montville, NJ
- Trip Date: Saturday – Sunday Sept. 30 – Oct. 1, 2017
- Arrive: Boy scouts load the trailer during the troop meeting on Wednesday, September 27. On Saturday September 30 at 1:00 pm, boy scouts are to arrive at Camp Dawson to unload the trailer and set up their stations. Cub scouts arrive at Camp Dawson at 2:00 pm.
- Pickup: Sunday, October 1. Continental breakfast followed by packing up. Boy scout parents, pickup your scout at 9:00 am at Camp Dawson. Boy Scouts are required to return to the Church to unload equipment.
- Trip Leader: ASM Ira Weiss
- Trip Coordinator: Lisa Krase
Montville Scout Day is an opportunity for Boy Scouts to show off their skills to Cub Scout packs from Montville and to learn some new skills for themselves while helping the Webelos fulfill important requirements for their Arrow of Light. It is also gives the Cub Scouts a preview of the fun things they will be doing when they bridge to Boy Scouts.
Scouts from Troop 74 will set up and run the various stations and help keep the Cub Scouts organized. Each patrol will run a station to teach the Cub Scouts basic scoutcraft skills, such as first aid, cooking, orienteering, and knot tying.
Scouts can test their skills at archery. Members of Lincoln Park Archers are graciously providing archery sessions for all the scouts.
We will go mountain biking around the trails at Camp Dawson. All scouts and parents are encouraged to bring their bike and helmet!
We will also be cooking dinner and camping out that evening with the Webelos, having additional activities, and of course there will be a campfire and “cracker barrel”.
This is a great opportunity for our new Troop members to camp out for their first time without their parents. (Parents are invited to sleep over, though). It also counts as a night of tent camping which is required for rank advancement and for the Camping merit badge. For scouts working on Tenderfoot and Second Class requirements , it is an opportunity to fulfill the outdoor cooking requirements.
There is no Troop 74 transportation for this event. Scouts are required to help load/unload equipment at the church. Parents are responsible for transporting their son from/to the church to load/unload equipment, and between the church and Camp Dawson.